How to migrate N:N relationships

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM
Hello Guarav,

I'm experimenting with your tool but I can't figure out how to create N:N mappings. I have the following setup:
- Account entity
- Custom N:N entitty named profile

I have a csv file with two columns:
1. accountnumber
2. name

In the text file I have 1 row:
accountnumber = 123456
name = test

I have an account in CRM with the accountnumber. I also have a profile record named "test".

Which steps should I take to great a mapping between these two entities...?

I hope you can help me.

Developer
Jul 8, 2008 at 7:51 AM
  Hi Basvs,
               Thanks for providing me feedback for the tool. Also please accept my apologies for a little late response. I would be glad to help you in achieving your migration target. Please clarify following things to let me help you:
  • What do you mean by custom N:N entity?
  • You want to do N:N mapping at entity level or at attribute level?

I am sure we can work out the solution for you once the scenario becomes clear.

Thanks,
Gaurav

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:05 AM
Hello Gaurav,

Your apologies are accepted, no problem.

We have created a new entity called Profile. This entity is related to contact and Account by a N:N relationship.

I want to link the two entities by an attribute which is populated with an unique value.

The field accountnumber on account has an unique number.
The field name on Profile has an unique name

By these two fields I want to link the records to each other.

I hope you have enough information.

Regards,

Bas

Developer
Jul 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Hi Basvs,
The tool is meant for creating Maps for Data migration from one CRM system to another. So if you a csv file say account.csv which has all your accounts data. And you want to migrate this data from CSV to MSCRM system then you can create a map between fields of account.csv and CRM account (or any other) entity. This map will reflect, how data will be imported/migrated to CRM system. You can use Data Migration Map editor to load CSV and read its fields in CSV files, then you can choose entity in CRM as target entity. And then you can map attributes of CSV file with CRM entity attributes.

In your case I guess you have both the entities in CRM system. Also data is also in CRM system. And you just want to create relationship between these, right? If that is the case then probably this is not the tool you are looking for.

If I still did not understand your problem then lets continue discussing it.

Thanks,
Gaurav

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:48 PM
Hello Guarav,

We are indeed migration data from another CRM system to Microsoft CRM. Lets imagine the CRM system is Empty. First we want to import Accounts in to the Account entity of CRM. Second we want to import Profiles, which is a custom entity in CRM. Between these two entities a N:N relationship exists. So apart form importing the information to the entities, we also want to link the two.

An example:
An Account (1) can have a relationship with 5 profiles. lets say A, B, C, D and E.
But Profile A can have a relationship with 100 Accounts, for example 1-100.

So basically we have three files to import:
1. Account
2. Profiles
3. Account_Profiles

I hope this makes clear what we are trying to achieve and I hope it will be possbile.

Thanks,

Bas

Developer
Jul 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Hi Basvs,
         Now the picture is more clear for me. Thanks for that. Actually currently migration of records having N:N relationships is not supported. What I mean to say is: Account and Profile can't be migrated together when one has a reference in other. You will have to first import all accounts or all profiles and then follow with the import/migration of next entity. Also you will have to create reference mappings using my tool for migrating data to have that relationship. Can you help me with examples of few rows for each of the entities you mentioned above? Then probably I would be able to give you the set of steps to reach your goal.

• Please provide the attributes in 3 csvs
  • Please provide example data rows in 3 csvs

Thanks,
Gaurav

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:44 AM
Hello Gaurav,

I have created three CSV files. Can you please let me know how I can e-mail them to you?

Thanks

Bas
Developer
Jul 26, 2008 at 8:52 AM
Hi,
      You do not need to email me the csv files. Please put here the column names (not all but few meaningful ones to explain the relationship) in each csv and also a few 5-10 rows which gives enough indication about M:N relationship between account and profile. I am sure that will help us to get to solution.

Thanks,
Gaurav
Jul 28, 2008 at 7:36 AM
Hello Gaurav,

Below you find the specs of the different files. Bold lines are the column names.

Account.csv:

Name;City;Accountnumber
Company A;Amsterdam;001
Company B;Rotterdam;002
Company C;Den Haag;003
Company D;Utrecht;004
Company E;Haarlem;005

Profile.csv:

Profilename
Profile 1
Profile 2
Profile 3
Profile 4
Profile 5

Account_Profiles.csv

Accountnummber;Profilename
001;Profile 1
001;Profile 2
001;Profile 3
002;Profile 1
003;Profile 1
003;Profile 2
004;Profile 1
005;Profile 1
005;Profile 3
005;Profile 4
005;Profile 5

I think this is the information you requested. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Bas
Aug 12, 2008 at 10:40 AM
Hello Guarav,

Are you able to help me further on this one. I feel we are very close to solve it.

Please let me know if u need anything else.

Regards

Bas
Sep 9, 2008 at 7:48 AM
Hello Guarav,

Any change we get this thing sorted out?

Please let me know if you don't have the time or possibility to help me.

Regards,

Bas