Data Migration between deployment environments

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM
Has anyone used this tool to migrate data between different deployment environments? We are facing issues since when we migrate between one environment (lets say QA) to another (lets say STAGING), the GUID for the record changes. We will like to keep it same to make our workflow work. Thoughts?
Developer
Jul 8, 2008 at 6:49 AM
Hi,
      From your message, I sense that you are asking about 'Actual Migration' using this tool. Actually this tool is not for actual migration but for creating a data migration map for performing migration (you can use Data Migration manager freely available for this purpose). However you can use my tool to use the source data files, existing CRM installation and create maps which will help you in acheiving your migration targets.

I hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks,
Gaurav

TwinCities wrote:
Has anyone used this tool to migrate data between different deployment environments? We are facing issues since when we migrate between one environment (lets say QA) to another (lets say STAGING), the GUID for the record changes. We will like to keep it same to make our workflow work. Thoughts?

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:33 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2008 at 2:33 PM
Hi Gaurav,

Perhaps I did not word my question well. Is it possible to migrate the GUIDs (crm records) from one environment to another? Ideally, we will like a contact A to have the same GUID in multiple environments.

Thanks!
Developer
Jul 23, 2008 at 12:45 PM
Hi,
     You can certainly do that. You can export data from one environment to create CSV files. And then create migration maps using this tool (map these Guids you want to preserve to Primary Key of the entities, e.g accountId to account Id) to create mapping between these CSV files and entities in other system of yours. Finally you can use 'Data Migration manager' as I discussed earlier to migrate these entity records with guids.

Let me know if you have any more questions from me.

Thanks,
Gaurav